What if I find an error in my pre-populated information?

If you find an error in the pre-populated information, such as an incorrect address or zip code, first try to correct it yourself.  Cancel the request page you are using, return to the homepage and click the "edit my contact information" button. This will take you to a page where you can update your contact  information.  If you are able to make the edits, click on the request again and your information will be updated.  If you are unable to correct the mistake, click the "Contact Us" link to send a message to CNCS.  


See also:

How do I update my contact information?

How do I update my name, date of birth or Social Security number?