Skip Navigation and Go Directly to Page ContentCNCS Website Home Page AmeriCorps AmeriCorps
 

FONT SIZE:  Default  |  Large

spacer
spacer
spacer
 

WSC, Center for Natural Lands Management, Prairie Science
 
 
 
The Center for Natural Lands Management (CNLM) stewardship activities are currently divided between California and Washington. In the State of Washington, CNLM focuses on conservation of one of the rarest ecosystems in United States, the prairie and oak woodlands of the south Puget Sound region. At least 92 percent of the prairie habitat in south Puget Sound region has been converted to other land uses or destroyed. CNLM aims to protect and restore prairie and oak habitats, and support the recovery of rare or listed species. Our Washington staff serves our conservation objectives by acquiring, managing and restoring conservation lands, conducting applied restoration research projects, growing native plants and seed, and conducting outreach to partners and the public. CNLM seeks four fulltime AmeriCorps members to fill prairie restoration service opportunities with the South Sound Prairies Program in the Olympia office. These four positions include a Prairie Science Technician, a Prairie Restoration Technician, a Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator, and a Native Plant Propagation Technician. These positions are offered through and contingent on funding from the Washington Service Corps.
 
Further help on this page can be found by clicking here.


Please note:
This listing is currently not accepting applications.




Member Duties : The Prairie Science Technician will support many ongoing experiments which explore effective restoration techniques for western Washington prairies. In order to develop and maintain high quality prairies, more information on how this ecosystem functions is needed. CNLM collaborates with partners to conduct regional, multi site experiments that determine current ecological conditions and test the efficiency of restoration practices. The member will spend 60 percent of his or her time assisting staff with experimental research, project and species monitoring, and data management; the remaining 40 percent will be spent on restoration practices, including native plant propagation, invasive species control and native planting. This member will assist with scientific studies evaluating effects of prescribed fire, herbicide, grazing, seeding, and mycorrhizal inoculation of native plants. Tasks include reviewing literature, setting up experiments, collecting field data and managing the data.
 
Program Benefits : Training ,  Education award upon successful completion of service ,  Childcare assistance if eligible ,  Health Coverage ,  Stipend . 
 
Terms :
Permits working at another job during off hours ,  Permits attendance at school during off hours . 
 
Service Areas :
Environment . 
 
Skills :
Environment ,  Team Work ,  General Skills ,  Writing/Editing ,  Computers/Technology ,  Leadership . 
 
 
Refine Search
 
 
SUMMARY
Program Type:
AmeriCorps State / National

Program
WSC, Center for Natural Lands Management, Prairie Science

Program Start/End Date
10/01/2015  -   08/15/2016

Work Schedule Full Time

Education level
Some college

Age Requirement
Minimum:  18    Maximum:  25

Program Locations WASHINGTON  

Accepting Applications
From  06/15/2015  To  08/15/2015 

Contact Carola Tejeda
120 Union Ave SE
Olympia   WA   98501
360-464-1024
wscip@esd.wa.gov
www.southsoundprairies.org
 
AmeriCorps

Listing ID 50323


spacer
       
  HOME